Monday, November 3, 2014

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain

September's book club was hosted by Liesel. Unfortunately I was out of town so I don't know who was there, what you ate or talked about but the book was Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. From what I heard it seems that it wasn't that popular a pick. Suzy was saying the book made her feel bad about herself because it was dismissing extroverts as just loudmouths, not deep thinkers, always the loudest and first to answer but not necessarily with the best, most thoughtful answer. I can understand how that could be offensive because there's obviously many extroverts who are deep thinkers - like Suzy.

I found the book pretty fascinating as an introvert or more bluntly, a lifelong sufferer of debilitating shyness. To work, make friends and get by in the world I've had to fake it so I thought the book was validating as a person whose strengths are not shooting my hand up in class, being vocal, talking in front of people or "thinking on my feet". Those are qualities that are valued in this world and I'm envious of people who naturally possess them. I was happy to read a book about my side, the undervalued side. If you're a natural extrovert I think you're lucky. You're deemed smarter, more likeable, more attractive. You're hired more, elected to office more and seen as more competent, even if it's not true!

No comments:

Post a Comment